Monday, April 28, 2014

4/28/14- Week 63! {Week 4 of Transfer 11} "Van"

Hi family! 
Birthday lunch at Olive Garden

This week was great! I feel like I can't remember half of it though... It seems like the last time I emailed was a month ago! A lot has happened it seems. First of all, it was Sister Parker's birthday! She turned 23 years old! Would you have guessed that? The picture of all of the missionaries was of us and the other missionaries in our district (some of them) when we went out to dinner for her birthday to Olive Garden. It was lots of fun. Sister Parker is amazing! She has taught me so much. We are working so well together and are best friends. She is a lot like me and we have lots of fun together. She comes from a big family (9 kids) and has a lot of similar values that her parents taught her. It is lots of fun :)

This week we had a great experience with our investigator, Ashley, this week. We have been teaching her in the church and having members meet us there. It has been great! We had her over for dinner last night at the Bishop's house and it was great! Their family is so funny. We were all laughing and having such a great time. They told us funny stories about when they were newly married about her fear of dogs and his fear of spiders, and it really helped Ashley open up and get to know them. After, we taught her about the Plan of Salvation and the Bishop's family all bore strong testimony of the truth of it. Afterwards the Bishop told Ashley that all of it comes down to the Book of Mormon and whether it is true. It was so powerful! She has been reading the Book of Mormon and really loves it. She loves how it really applies to our life today more than the Bible. She has read past 1 Nephi 7 and is reading every day. I am so excited for her! She wants to get baptized on May 17th and is well on her way to be able to do that! We love her to pieces. 

The Day family is doing much better :) They have a home and he got a job and things have been looking up for them. Stress is normal and they still face challenges, but I know that they have really loved your prayers! Their prayers have been answered. They have been blessed and strengthened. They were at church yesterday and Brother Day looked sharp in his white shirt and tie :) I love their family so much! They are always helping us and checking up on us. They would do anything to protect us, it is really sweet :) They are still working towards baptism and want to have that blessing in their lives. They have some challenges to overcome, but they have a lot of faith and determination! They are willing to sacrifice things for the Lord.
So...let me explain the title of my email. So last week, Sister Parker and I were having a family come with us to go and teach our investigator. The cute Morales family (side note -- -- my dad might know them!! They are from Guatemala and he was baptized in 1978 when my dad served his mission...pretty cool -- - --). They came to pick us up and we were stopping by our car to get my GPS so we could get to our appointment. We were running a little late, so I was trying to hurry. As I was coming back I was running and jumped into the van...but jumped a little too high....and wacked my head on the top of the door. hahahaha. I stumbled back a couple of times, but was able to eventually catch myself and get inside. Sister Parker said I was a little loopy, and I got quite the bump on my head, but I was just fine. It mostly just made me laugh because I am definitely prone to accidents. :) :) I am doing just fine, don't worry, no brain damage, no concussion, just a little bump.
This week we may be having a funeral for a weak, old lady that we have been talking with. She has kidney failure and decided to go off of dialysis. She is a less-active and we were asked to go and visit her and bring her some peace. Over the last few months we have come to love her very much. She reminds me so much of my Grandma Farr :) She is so funny, and makes us laugh every time we visit with her. A few weeks ago when we went over there, she was eating her dinner. They had given her a hamburger that really didn't look too good. It had a hard patty with a squirt of ketchup in the middle and an onion and pickles. She ate a few bits here and there, but eventually she picked it up and put it in our face and said, "The food here is no good.. I mean, would you eat this?!?!" Now maybe you would have to know her to get it, but Sister Parker and I were laughing so hard. She had a completely straight face, but the way she said it was so cute. Most elderly people in nursing homes are usually pretty okay with their living conditions and like the place that they are at. They kind of don't realize that they are in a nursing home because they are ill and going to pass soon. But she was very aware that her living circumstances weren't the best and would let us know each time we went there :) She always had a silly comment or something to make us laugh. I sure am going to miss her. But I have seen such a change in her since we first met her. She was so scared and sad when we first came. But as we have been re-teaching her about the plan of salvation, it has given her hope. She knows where she is going after she dies. People have commented to her that she looks different and seems much happier. She smiles more now and is just so sweet. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. It brings me so much peace when others pass away. I know that there is a life after this one. I know that she will enter a state of rest and not be in pain from her health problems. It brings me such joy!
I don't have much time left today. But always know that I love you all! You are so wonderful. Thank you for your prayers. I love to hear from you. I love to have encouraging words, it helps me keep pushing. I am grateful for my Savior and all he has done for me. I know that this church is true. There are so many blessings that come from living the principles of the gospel. I have a new goal to read the Book of Mormon by the time that I come home. I love the Book of Mormon. It is a magic book! It has changed my life. It is precious to me. I hope that it becomes precious to you. I hope all of your priesthood holders remember how much of an honor it is to hold the power of God. I hope us as women realize that although we do not hold the priesthood, we can receive all of the blessings that they do. Just like our Sunday School teacher put it yesterday. The Savior died and suffered for our sins to save us from two deaths: Spiritual (sin) death, and physical death. But today, we take part in bringing about two lifes: spiritual life (the priesthood- which Men are a part of) and physical life (birth- which Women are a part of). Neither is more important. Both are essential. I love this church! I know our Savior lives and loves us. and I love you all!!!
Love, 
Sister Emilee Brooke Farr :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment