Monday, August 4, 2014

07/14/14 - Week 74! {Week 3 of Transfer 13} "People Can Change!"

Hi :D
So today it hit me that I will be home in about 3 weeks. I don't even know what has happened to this transfer. It has just flown by! Time is running out. I just want to shove everyone in our car and make them all get baptized and take them to the temple! haha just kidding. I know I can't do that. I just love this gospel and I know how much it is going to change people's lives!

We are working with our neighbor to be baptized on the 26th of this month! She is so prepared! She has been to church 3 times, has read up to 1 Nephi 17, has a testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith... :D Each time that we come over to teach her, she is just so open. She came to church yesterday and we had a really deep lesson on the priesthood in Relief Society. I was really nervous about it and if she would understand. A lot of deep doctrine came up and I wasn't sure how she would take it. But I kept reminding myself that God knew she would be there that day and he would take care of it. And sure enough, when we followed up, she was just fine with it all. She loves coming to church and all of the people there. She is just so prepared. She has such an open mind and heart. She has gone through so much in her life, and it has all prepared her to accept the gospel. We just have to teach her everything and she is ready! We are so excited for her. We just have to win the heart of her husband. He isn't as excited about it all. But she has talked about how the more that she has learned and come to church, he has been getting curious about it and has asked her questions. So hopefully we can slowly win him over!

We saw a crazy change in this father that we are teaching. The first time that we went over, he was pretty argumentative about the Book of Mormon. He had read some of it before and had some missionaries over...which he pretty much scared off. He asked questions about why certain things were the way they were in the Book of Mormon. For example why it says "the lamanites had a skin of blackness" verses a skin of darkness. He backed up his opinion with lots of things and when you would try to explain that it could mean different things, he wouldn't accept it. So we were worried to go back and teach him more. We rescheduled appointments for multiple weeks, and were about to give up. But this past week, we finally got in. We had been doing a lot of research on the word black and everything, and so we tried to have a simple, non-argumentative answer. When we went in, we started to explain that black would be representative because black means "no light" and Christ is the light of the world, so they had no Christ in them. We talked about how the word black in Hebrew means confusion. And some more. But he still was having a hard time. So I decided to say a prayer and ask God to help us out. I knew nothing would happen if the spirit was driven away. I thought of the scripture where it said that you shall not be confounded before men...and I felt pretty confounded. And as we sat there, I had ideas start coming into my head. Eventually it lead to a discussion about how the people knew Hebrew, but wrote in Egyptian because it was more condensed. And for some reason, that just clicked...and his whole demeanor changed. The spirit touched him and he knew that was true. It was so crazy! We saw them again this week and in his prayer at the end he thanked God for sending us and helping his family come closer to Him. Sister Bowers and I have been blown away from how it has changed. Just like it says in Preach My Gospel, "when the Spirit touches hearts, hearts are changed." God has changed Him. :)

This week has been a wonderful one. We have met a lot of neat people and seen many miracles as always. We met some drunk people, held an adorable little dog, got caught in the rain again (but not as bad), crawled through fences...you know, the usual missionary stuff. It was lots of fun. We are working hard and expecting miracles! God has been blessing us so much and all we can do is follow what he asks us to do. We were able to meet almost every single one of our goals this week! Every one!! It was so neat. His grace is sufficient, and he will deliver you. I love the people here in Kentucky and Indiana. I love my mission! I am eternally grateful to God for allowing me to serve. I will see you all so soon. I can't believe I am almost done, but I am going to work as hard as I can.
This gospel is so true, I can't even handle it! :D

I send my love,
Sister Emilee Farr

No comments:

Post a Comment