Monday, April 29, 2013

04/15/13-Week 10 in Indiana [Week 5 of Transfer 2]

Why Hello!
Spring is in the air!! The trees have blossoms on them and there are some beautiful blossoms! There was a tree that looked just the like one in the Disney movie Mulan! Aw..so gorgeous! The weather is a little crazy here.. I thought that Mother Nature was crazy in Utah...but no..here she is Bipolar! haha :) It can go from 70 degrees one day to 35 degrees the next day. Don't ask me how it happens..but it does!
I have had a wonderful week!! The work is so rewarding and lots of fun! One of my favorite things that I have done this week was painting for a potential investigator! We came across a girl named Melissa the other week when we were tracting. She had painters tape in her windows and so when she opened the door, I commented on the painting. She told us that she was painting her house because the renter that last lived in it did not take care of it. She said that she didn't think she cleaned the bathroom in the whole 4 years she lived there! Gross... But we asked her if we could help her clean or paint. She told us that she wouldn't make us do that, but we told her that was part of our purpose as missionaries. So we set up a time for us to come and help her for a few hours. Then this Tuesday when we went to her house, she was so excited to see us! She told us that she had been telling everyone that we were coming to help her. She put us to work scrubbing out the cupboards in the kitchen..and they were disgusting! There was dog hair all over and dried food and...who knows what. But as we cleaned, she asked us questions about our religion and how it was different. In the course of the time we were there, we pretty much taught her the first 2 lessons in preach my gospel! As we were cleaning, whenever someone called, she would tell them that she had 3 Latter-Day Saint girls there helping her clean! I guess that is a way to get the church's name out for good..haha :) But as we were finishing up she asked us if there was anything that she could do for us, we gave her a mormon.org card and encouraged her to look up more about our religion (since she is living in Florida right now). She told us that she would. Then she told us that we gave her hope that there are religions out there who actually live what they teach. She had contacted old neighbors and friends to help her, and no one did. But we were an answer to her prayers, because the Lord led us to her door that day. What a wonderful way to plant a seed! I didn't know that missionary work could be as simple as volunteering to help someone in need. But I guess that is how the Savior did it. I love this gospel!!
Also this week we have another investigator who has a baptismal date! She is committed to get baptized on June 1st! Her name is Wanda. I think I have already told you about her, but she was a former investigator that we recently started teaching again. She got the book "Mormonism for Dummies" and has been studying her little heart out to learn more about the gospel! She always has questions and thoughts when we teach her. Then there is another two investigators who we will be giving a date to this week! They have already said yes to baptism, but we have not given them a date. Their names are Cheryl and Zach. They are a Mom and Son and soooooooo prepared!! They are golden. They agree with everything and are so excited about learning! I love them to death. The people here are just so amazing!
And! I sent some pictures of me by a random road sign and someones mailbox...but you see!! the Road sign says "Colt Rd" and the mailbox is "2247"!! No way! There is an address in Indianapolis that is the same as my address back in Saratoga Springs! I just thought that was cool :) We were trying to think of where to go tracting one day and I saw that road on the map, and then while tracting on that road, I found the house number! It made me happy :)


 




Then we had dinner with the Groom family. And they have the most adorable kids! They have 2 sets of twins. One set of girls and one set of a boy and a girl! The picture is of Catie and I.

Catie & Sister Farr
It was their birthday last week, and so she put the birthday hat on my head for fun. She has the highest pitched voice! It is just adorable! I think that not holding kids or hugging them is the hardest thing about missionary work for me. I just love them too much! But a funny story about Catie is that we were telling her that we were going to get our hair cut today. And I asked her "what if I cut my hair to here!" (pointing at the length just past the tip of my ear). She paused and then with a disgusted look said "....I wouldn't like you anymore..." bahahah! Sister Cordner and I laughed so hard! It was hilarious! Kids can be so blunt! But don't worry Dad, I won't be cutting my hair :) It is just a trim.

AND I realized that two weeks ago I was going to give you the answer to my question about why Heavenly Father gave Adam and Eve a commandment that He knew they had to break. Well! here is the answer:
Because Heavenly Father is perfect, He could only create a perfect world, perfect people, and a perfect plan. He could not give them a commandment to eat the fruit, because when they ate it, they would still be perfect! Thus, still be in Heavenly Father's presence; there would have not been a spiritual death and no need for the Savior's atonement. There would be no opposition..we would not come into an imperfect world to learn from our mistakes (one of the main reasons we came to earth). I hope that makes sense..but my mind was blown! I couldn't think straight for a while. It has been one of my deep questions since I was a little girl. Maybe someone who reads this will have their mind opened too.

We have done lots and lots and lots of tracting.. (on Busy Bee Lane, Poppyseed Rd, and Cinnamon St) and ran into some very rude people who have tried to argue with us. But I know that this is the Lord's work.
They rejected even Christ himself, so when they reject me, I can't let that get me down. Jesus Christ could not convert everyone, so He doesn't expect me to. I am so happy to be on a mission at this time, in Indiana, and with Sister Cordner and Sister Knight. I can't believe that I have already been out for 3 months! It has flown by..but I also feel that I have been out forever.  It is weird how that works. Other than that, this week has been wonderful, as always! I am still struggling to get a good nights rest. If anyone has some suggestions, they would be appreciated! As a misisonary...sleep is very precious!

My time may be running out here in Indy 1st as transfers is next Wednesday, and I won't know if I am leaving until next Sunday. But I sure do hope I stay here with Sister Cordner and Sister Knight! They teach me soooo much and I need all of the knowledge I can get. I love being in a trio, it is just triple the power! Heavenly Father will send me where He knows I am needed, but...I have decided that I want to stay in Indy 1st for the rest of my mission ;) Just kidding! I will go wherever the Lord may need me.

Thank you for all of your prayers and support! I have definitely been able to feel the strength from Heaven. The Lord takes care of His missionaries :) I still have so much to learn!

That was a long email! I hope you enjoyed!!

Lots of Love,
Sister Emilee Farr

No comments:

Post a Comment