Monday, April 29, 2013

04/01/13-Week 8 in Indiana [Week 3 of Transfer 2]

Hello family and friends!

The weeks are just flying by. I can't believe that I am already almost done with the 3rd week of my second transfer!! That is just crazy. I don't want to leave Sister Cordner and Sister Knight. I think that you should call my Mission President and tell him that he can't split up the trio ;) just kidding. I don't know if I will be a trainer right off the bat. I don't think that I have all of the people skills that I would need to keep a conversation going..door approaches are a little bit scary for me. But I fasted to have my tongue loosed. I know that Heavenly Father can work miracles when it comes to His work.


Oh man, but this week has been so wonderful!! To start out I recited the first vision for the first time and gave my first invitation to baptism....and she said YES!! It was amazing. Her name is Jennifer and she is so prepared. We tracked into her randomly and she let us right in. We had a very spiritual meeting with her this week and it was amazing. We talked about the restoration of the gospel and I recited the first vision to her and had her close her eyes. She said that when
she heard it she felt "free" or she felt "butterflies." I told her that it was the spirit confirming that what we told her was true. After I invited her to be baptized and asked her if she would follow
the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God.... and she said yes! I can't tell you how amazing it felt to have someone commit to baptism. Tomorrow we will be giving her a baptismal date and I hope that she accepts. The spirit was so strong during the lesson. I am falling in love with missionary work.


I went on exchanges this week to Fishers, Indiana with Sister Tagg. We had a lot of fun and met some amazing people. One person was named Jenney and she was amazing! She was saying that when she makes a promise with God, there is no way that she will back down from that
promise. I thought that we can all learn from her dedication and determination to our Heavenly Father. I learned so much from her. But the funny thing was that Sister Barrett came to Indy 1st while I went to Fishers and she sat at my study desk. And you see I have the post-it notes that Dad gave me with all of the motivational sayings on them. And I guess that Sister Barrett read them and said "Awww.. even I miss Sister Farr's Dad!!" hahaha :) I thought that was really funny!
And I thought Dad would like that :)


Then this week, we made a "Wendy's run" in the middle of tracting for hours on end to take a break because I was getting really overwhelmed from talking with people. And I thought of Tiffany because we would always do that in the middle of the night when we wanted frosty's and
fries :)


I've sent some pictures of the snow storm that we had. But you
see, the first picture is the day of the snow storm....



...and the second picture is the next day. 
The snow melts like CRAZY here!!
 It is incredible!!!! In Utah, the snow would stay for months...but not in Indiana.

 




 They always say "If you don't like the weather here today, stay for tomorrow, it will probably change" :) and let me tell you, it is sooo true! You can't predict the weather here. It can go through all 4 seasons in one day.

Another amazing story was this lady named Cherral. She was a former investigator that was taught last year. On her teaching record they said that she thought that the Joseph Smith story and the Book of Mormon were the most amazing things that she had ever heard. She just seemed so golden, but she was dropped because they couldn't set up appointments with her. So we stopped by and she invited us right in. She was so sweet! We chatted for a while and got to know her and what she liked about the church. Then she said "so do you want to start studying again?" What?!! Since when do the investigators ask YOU if YOU want to study with them? It was crazy! Talk about prepared. She is so sweet and nice. We have an appointment with her tomorrow, and I am so excited.


I had the most AMAZING Easter yesterday. Talk about being a representative of Jesus Christ on a holiday that celebrates His great Atonement. It was wonderful. We got SOOO much candy from people in the ward! 


We got some from the Reeves, the Adams, the Sholders, the Futrells, and the Lykins...it was ridiculous! I don't get that much candy on a normal holiday! But as a missionary..I guess you are kind of a rock star. It was funny. There was a cute girl that got up and bore her testimony and said
 "Easter isn't about the candy and stuff.......but I still really want some..........it is about the Savior."

 I don't know if you can read how she said it, but it was soooo funny! I just love kids. Then we had dinner with the Aikins and they sent us home with 12 red velvet cupcakes!!! mmmmhmmm. They are delicious. But here is the story that is truly amazing. We are teaching a Part member family - the Hodges, specifically Sister Hodge - and it has been hard to set up appointments. But yesterday we went over there to share with them an "Easter message." We watched Finding Faith in Christ with them and then bore our testimonies of the power of the atonement. I told her that I wouldn't be able to be out on a mission without the power of the atonement in my life. I told her that I have been able to have my guilt and my sorrow washed away and have that peace come again. Then she asked me "how do you get that feeling?" and I began telling her
the story of my complete repentance process. The spirit was so strong. I was crying (of course). And then we asked her if she would be baptized. And after a long, thoughtful pause, she said "yes" in a hushed tone and then she started to cry. The spirit was unbelievable in that room!! Sister Knight started to cry, I was teary, Sister Hodge was crying. Oh man. Then Brother Hodge said, with tears in his eyes, "I am soo happy....that means that I can take you to the temple." It
was amazing!! That is what missionary work is all about.. sealing families! It makes me so excited to start my future eternal family because I have a greater testimony of its importance. I can't explain to you how amazing that moment was. :D


I have found out the answer to my life long question of "why did Heavenly Father give Adam and Eve a commandment that he knew they had to break?" It makes complete sense now. I would love to tell you....but you will have to stir for another week because I don't have enough time to type it... ;)


I love you all! I am loving the work out here! I can already tell why people say they don't want to go home. The rewards of missionary work are different than anything I have ever experienced. And I have recently found a love for muffins in the morning.... haha :)

 

Thank you for all of the love and support,

Sister Emilee Farr

No comments:

Post a Comment