Monday, March 25, 2013

03/11/13 - Week 5 in Indiana

Well Hello!

All is well here in Indiana! The weather has been a little crazy! They all say here "If you don't like the weather today, stick around, it will change for you by tomorrow!" And let me tell you, it is SO true. We had a giant blizzard this past Tuesday night and then on Thursday it was warm enough that you didn't need a jacket! It is crazy. The snow melts really fast too! We had about 5 or 6 inches from the snow and by Friday it was all completely melted...that is nothing like Utah. But other than that the weather has been pretty nice here. But by the middle of the week it is going downhill again, but then it has an uphill by the end of the week so... who knows? 

Anyways, so this week I had my first transfer! I went down North Vernon. It is at the south end of Indiana. There is a lot more fields and small towns down there. But it was a new experience! On Monday night we swapped and I went with Sister Bennett. We had a few appointments that night. But Tuesday was a cool day! We first did some community service at a place called Community Provisions where people in poverty go to pick up groceries if they can't afford them. We helped organize cans and boxes and also helped them bag all of their food at the end. They were all so sweet and thankful! The manager took a picture of Sister Bennett and I organizing some bags and he said that he posted it onto Facebook.. so you could try to look it up :) 

Sister Bennett and I serving at Community Provisions

But it was lots of fun! I love being in areas like that because the people are always so open. After doing service, we went to a place where a girl named Carolyn lived (she owns an apartment complex called Ivey Place). She is a potential investigator who they have seen a few times, but she has never been interested to have them continue coming to teach her. So we went to her house and knocked on the door, but no one answered. Then we saw someone walking towards us and realized that it was her! She has awesome puffy hair and was wearing a black Indian-like jacket. So we said Hello and asked her if we could talk to her for a little while. She said yes and we went into this apartment where she just had furniture stored all over. We started to talk with her and she began to talk about all of her past hardships. She has been in a lot of bad relationships in her past and has bad trust issues with men. As she talked about the bad things that she has done and the anger she felt because of things that happened, I just couldn't stop thinking of our Savior and how He could help her. She then started talking about how she didn't know her brothers and she didn't keep in touch with her family very much...and the first person that came to my head was my dear Mother. When she said that I explained to her about Mom. I said that she had a very rough childhood and had experienced a lot of similar challenges with her family and such. She then said "well I guess she has it pretty good now then.." But then I explained to her that my Mom wouldn't be where she is today if she didn't know that Heavenly Father loved her and knew her. She would not have been able to clear up those hurt feelings without the healing power of the Atonement in her life. At that point Carolyn started crying. I testified to her that I knew that the gospel that we bring to her can bless her life. I told her that it can heal the past wounds that hurt her still. I testified to her that we had the gospel of Jesus Christ. She then accepted a return appointment. I know that because I was able to share my Mom's experience with her, she was able to understand how it could bless her life. I hope that she pursues the gospel and continues in faith. I also made another man cry..Brother McQueen. I don't have time to write his story, but I am so grateful for the spirit. I may not know all of the doctrine, or know all of the scripture references to pull out, but I know that if I testify of the truthfulness, I can have the spirit testify. 

We also had an interesting experience with a lady named Theresa. We were tracting before an appointment and came across her. When she saw our name badges she thought at first that we were Jehovah Witnesses, and started to correct us of our foolish ways. But then we explained that we were LDS. Then she started to correct us on our religion. She would not let us talk or get a word in. We tried to share a scripture with her, but she would not give us the time. Eventually I stopped her and said, can I bear my testimony to you? She paused and said sure. Then I testified to her with as much boldness as I could muster. I could tell that she felt the spirit, but she immediately pushed it away and tried to think of something else to correct us on. Interestingly enough, this experience did not weaken my testimony at all. I did not doubt what I know, I became stronger in my witness of the truthfulness of this church. It almost makes me excited to get rejected more often! But maybe not...

This week we got 2 new investigators!!! One is Sister Hodge and another is Renae! Sister Hodge just got married to a recent convert and so we are now working with her. Renae is a tracting miracle who we came across. I have been learning patience and diligence waiting for the work to blossom, but I know that as long as I am obedient, it is all in Heavenly Father's hands. He is in control and I have to trust in Him. 

Anyways, I don't have much more time to tell stories, but I am doing great! I have been growing and trying to change into the woman that Heavenly Father knows I can become. I may not be able to see who I can be, but He sure can. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and all of you. He is deeply involved in all of our lives. He watches over us and takes care of us. I have been relying on Him now more than I ever have. I couldn't do this work without Him. It is really hard, but I know I will start to see the blessings. Thank you for all of your prayers and support! I love you all!

Sister Emilee Farr

Oh! And P.S. I am staying in the Indy 1st ward, so the address will stay the same. But now I will be in a trio! And also! I can now email family AND friends now! The first presidency announced that earlier this week! Crazy stuff :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment