Monday, August 19, 2013

08/05/13-Week 26 in Indianna [Week 3 of Transfer 5] "Roller Coaster Week"

Hello!

This week has been a little CRAZY! We have been having some major crises with our investigators. We had some ups and downs. But we also saw some really amazing miracles. We had some investigators this week who have been having a lot of financial problems and haven't been able keep up on their rent. So their power and their gas were shut off. We went over to their home and the mom was sitting at the table, and from the moment I looked at her, I knew that something was wrong. The light was out of her eyes. I sensed something. So, we asked her what was wrong and she told us all about their financial troubles. It was really sad. I have learned a lot about how to manage money on my mission..funny enough! But we talked with her and broke down how she could make it. Sister Colton just took off and started speaking like a motivational speaker and pumped her up! We watched her slowly get up out of the hole that she was in and saw the light come back into her eyes. Sister Colton and I had just been praying and praying this past week. And we saw the ward pull together and the Lord bless them! We had a sister in the Relief Society come and take all of the food from the fridge and the freezer and take it to her house to keep it good for them. The Bishop ended coming and helping them out financially through the church. People have pitched in to help them have a garage sale to raise some money this weekend. It has been really amazing to watch. It was a very stressful week for us though! We are a little burnt out. But we keep praying and praying.


Also, we are sad to say that Saranna has decided not to get baptized on August 23rd. She decided that instead of getting baptized with her brother Jeremiah, she wants to wait for her mom. But her mom won't be able to get baptized until next spring/summer because of some personal problems...so she will have to wait for a while. We tried to talk with her and help her to understand how important baptism is. We wanted her to understand that the longer she waits, the harder it will get for her to be baptized. Satan creeps into our life when we are in limbo. When we are just waiting and have no motivation or goal. Sometimes it is hard to see people choose not to follow what they know, when you have done everything that you can to help them. We will just continue to pray for her and try to help her mom work through her problems so that she can get baptized earlier. I know that miracles are real. Heavenly Father has a plan for them. Even if I don't see it at this point, I know that He loves them and has blessings in store for them as they work to obey Him.


Also, last week we did a Young Women/Young Men activity! Well, I showed them all the crafts that I have made for teaching. I have made apostasy cups (for teaching the restoration), a Plan of Salvation cut out, and a Gospel of Jesus Christ flower to explain the principles of the gospel. It was really fun to talk with the youth who are hoping to go on missions. We got to tell them some cool stories and help them to get excited about serving a mission. We have taken some of the laurels out teaching with us, and they have really liked it! I wish that I would have had sister missionaries to go out with before I came, it definitely would have been an eye-opener.

We are hoping to give the Bowers family a baptismal date this week! They have been working towards baptism for quite some time now and they seem to be ready. Brother Bowers has stopped smoking, and that was really all that was holding them up, so we will be working with them! We are excited! A family!!!! :)

Also, great news about Wanda!! (from Indy) She is on the compassionate service committee there and she is doing great! She loves it. I am so happy for her and her family. I loved to see her progress and become the amazing women that she is. I never realized that when you serve a mission, I am not just a missionary to these people for 18 months. But I am always "their" missionary. They will look to me and reach out to me for the rest of their life. I always have to be that example to them of how to Endure to the End. The work of Salvation is one that is a life-long commitment. And I feel honored to be a part of that.

We have been doing a lot of service too! Sister Lloyd was a member here who just moved this week to Arizona. And this week we painted A LOT! It was so fun. It has been amazing to watch her progress. She used to be less-active. But this past week as we spent quite a bit of time with her, she has become a little missionary! She talked with her friend who was there helping her paint as well, about the temple and gave her a pass along card. She even talked with her neighbor and told her neighbor that she would send the missionaries! She has grown so much. I have come to realize how important the spirit and service are! I have seen it transform many people here in the Huntington ward. Not only Sister Lloyd, but also Sister Rydell. She is a recent convert (RC) of 2 years and we have been in her home a lot helping her clean. She had an accident last year which resulted in her loss of memory. She only remembered being 17. She didn't even know her 5 kids. It was hard for their family. Since then, they haven't been the same. But we have been in her home working with her to strengthen her, and also her teenage daughters. We have seen her come back to church and smile more often. Also, not just Sister Lloyd and Rydell, but also the Ahrens. They were inactive for quite a long time. But we have been working hard with them. We went over there a couple of weeks ago and helped clean and vacuum. Then we went over again and helped stain the deck. And this past week we went over and helped them treat the wood in their home. And we will go back this week to help them again. We have just seen Sister Ahrens transform! She is coming back to church, and she is smiling much more. At first, she seemed sad and uncomfortable around us, but now, each time we see her, she lights up and is happy. I can't explain to all of you how important it is to serve our brothers and sisters. Serving them can be the way that we can get to their hearts and soften it. It is amazing. I have seen many miracles come as a result of serving.

Also!! This week we had some great experiences with some investigators. Jeanie...we had a great lesson! She has been taught by missionaries for a good 3 years, but we had a break through this week. We asked her a lot of inspired questions and she just opened up!! It was amazing :) We are hoping to bring her into baptism too. Without the spirit, we would be useless. The spirit is sooo key!!

Funny story.........we had an investigator ask us on a date this past week. Let's just say that we dropped him and passed him off to the Elders. Oh the joys of being a Sister Missionary!! Ha Ha!

A request from me: Thank you all for emailing me sooo much!!! It brings me so much happiness :) But because I am so loved, I don't have quite enough time to get to everyone. If you want to, I am sure that you can write me your emails, but do them through Dear Elder so that I get them in the mail (and they are free for you) and then I can use this time to send you this email. I don't know if that makes any sense...but I hope it does! I love you all!!!! Thank you again!

Oh!! AND It is my Birthday this week!!! :D :D I will be 20. I am excited. 


Love you!
Sister Emilee Farr



No comments:

Post a Comment